Getting to know you at LA’s Blogger Prom

#Blogger Prom

Last night I stepped back through time and found myself on the roof-top deck of the Riot Hyatt (now the Andaz Hotel), dressed as a 1980’s prom attendee. Luckily, I wasn’t alone in my time travels. Thanks to the incredible party planners of The Blogger Prom, I was surrounded by other garishly clad, time warping guests.

#Blogger Prom
Food Bloggers and Twitter Personalities get to know each other

The Blogger Prom was masterminded by a handful of incredibly insightful LA bloggers that recognized the fact behind every .blogspot, .wordpress, .typepad and moveable press web address are men and women that are unabashed food geeks and culture dorks.

Picnik collage
@SamKimSamKim and DianaTakesaBite.com

Between the Michael Jackson and Duran Duran tracks, pink cocktails with lollipop garnishes, Aqua-netted hair and a brief cameo by Pauly Shore there were wonderful first time meetings and lovely connections to be made.

#Blogger Prom

#Blogger Prom

#Blogger Prom

Out from behind our computers and in full 80’s attire, the night began as most proms do: awkward. But as the room filled and the sun set (and the alcohol started to kick in) attendees fearlessly introduce themselves. Bloggers that had only known each other through blog posts and Twitter avatars, embraced when they caught sight of each other’s blog name scrawled on their name tag.

#Blogger Prom

#Blogger Prom
The woman behind Gastronomy Blog

#Blogger Prom

Lindsay William-Ross aka @ SquashBlossom #Blogger Prom
Lindsay William-Ross aka @ SquashBlossom

It was a wonderful night that was filled with great stories, wonderful outfits and incredible connections. Thanks to the Blogger Prom, LA’s blogging scene just got a whole lot closer.

Food Woolf prior to #Blogger Prom
The 80's Prom photo re-dux in '09

Brooke Burton nominated for best food writing

foodbuzz logo

Recent Posts

Food Woolf Written by:

Brooke Burton is an Los Angeles-based restaurant professional and hospitality expert. She is a freelance food writer, speaker, and co-author of The Food Blog Code of Ethics.

1. tallnoe
    July 23

LOVED it!! And I love the blogs from peeps about it all… so fun.

2. Kate @ Savour Fare
    July 23

I'm so sorry we didn't get to meet! It really was a surreal evening.

3. the slackmistress
    July 23

It was so nice to meet you, and even better now that I know where to find you! 😉

4. Gastronomer
    July 23

It was indeed a kick ass night. Your get up was sweeeet!

5. e*starLA
    July 23

Great pics! :) And so glad we got to meet…you looked fantastic! Yes, this was the prom we never got!!

6. SinoSoul
    July 23

aww shucks! you guys got there while the sun was still out! great photos B!

7. Jennifer
    July 24

West Coast bloggers really know how to DO IT UP! I adore your photos. Looks like you enjoyed a memorable evening with a crew of charismatic folks.

8. Diana
    July 24

Love the photos! So glad we could go over there together — I had such a great time!

9. Michael JB / South Bay Foodies
    July 28

Thanks for posting the AWESOME pictures from this event. I'm bummed we didn't get to meet up though. Not sure if you recall but we had lunch at Pebble Beach Food & Wine. Will be sure to give you a shout next time! :)

10. […] After working at my day job in the entertainment industry for ten years, I’ve come to enjoy my time with the bloggers more and more. There are no hidden agendas at blogger prom, no positioning for future employment or gossip-mongering. There’s no hidden subtext to the event. It’s just supposed to be fun. And it has been for the past two years. […]