1. The Food Librarian
    3/28/2009

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom. She is lucky to have such a supportive family around her making antioxidant full dishes. I know very little about the raw food movement (except that I could never give up rice and soup) but eating healthy food sound good for body and soul. I am thinking positive thoughts about your mom!

2. matt
    3/28/2009

You and Mama? In my thoughts, yes you are.

3. MyLastBite
    3/29/2009

This is so honest and heartwarming.

My best wishes to you and your mom.

4. White on Rice Couple
    3/29/2009

Ahh Brookie. Serious hugs for you. In regards to your mom, some things alternative treatments we’ve heard about is Vitamin C treatments as well as macrobiotics. My aikido sensei’s father is a proponent of macrobiotics and has written interesting articles about it. As for your diet, we’ll just have to make your more Viet foods. They fit the bill of health to a T (mostly) and the “bad” stuff on your list can become the occasional treat to be savored even more as any rare and beautiful thing should be. Love ya Brooke. Hugs from both of us. Todd.

5. The Domestic Diva
    3/29/2009

What a touching article – both you and your mother are in my thoughts! A close friend also had a high cholesterol reading at a very young age, but if it's any comfort, through healthy eating and exercise she has completely turned it around in a matter of months. I wish you both healing.

If you're looking for inspiration and recipes, my blog & cooking are focused on eating food that's both delicious and healthy! For the most part, I use no butter or dairy in my cooking and eat red meat only rarely. However, I promise you that my food is not lacking in the taste department. It's called Domestic Divas. I also write restaurant reviews and blog about health news.

And, lastly, when I read your beet recipe for your mother, I couldn't help but think about the fact that I recently blogged one of my favorite recipes for my mother – Roasted Beet Risotto. I thought your mother might enjoy it. Here's the link:

6. Brooke
    3/29/2009

Thank you Food Librarian, Matt, WORC, Domestic Diva and My Last Bite for your sweet and supportive words. It’s so good to know I have a community of food loving friends around me, supporting both my mother and myself on this new and challenging chapter in our lives.

Hugs and kisses to you all.

7. Jen
    3/30/2009

Brooke, Oh lady, very sorry to read these updates. I’m sending your way lots of positive energy and thoughts, and if you need anything, feel free to let me know. My mom and I are both firm believers in the healing powers of acupuncture, so if you both don’t mind the needles, I say try it out in conjunction with your dietary changes. I wish you all the best!

8. Leah
    3/30/2009

What a beautiful post brooke. You know I’m with you all the way. You’ll get your cholesterol under control and mama will get better, whether solely through raw foods or in combination with something else. Lots of love coming at you both. XO, L

9. Elizabeth
    3/30/2009

Brooke,
    There is so much depth to your posting and the accompanying photograph. Everything is important and we will touch each others lives in ways that we barely understand…

From my post on March 24th:
    …events over the last few days are taking shape to create a shift in my life; a shift that will provide me with the opportunity to step into the universe and change my life’s path. This is the intent of miracles; to leave life changed enough so that healing can happen.

10. Steve
    3/30/2009

Sorry to hear this news. I wish your mom the best, and your family will be in our thoughts.

11. matt wright
    3/31/2009

Thoughts are with you and your Mum.

Danika did some research on natural healing of cancers a little while back, for a family member – and I have to say, after seeing everything she found, I would never do chemo. I will try and dig up what she found. Our old naturapath cured her pre-cancerous tumors 20 years ago by drinking 6 raw fruit/veg smoothies a day – she was living mid west, and actually had to get organic produce flown in to her every few days! It worked though.

As regards cholesterol – from what I understand, modern research (not that from drugs companies..) has shown that eating foods high in cholesterol have little to no impact in your cholesterol level. Diets rich in whole grains and vegetables are key – olive oil is obviously great too. Fish is really awesome – but I wouldn’t worry too much about eating cholesterol rich foods (unless you do 5 times a day…). Remove all trans and hydrogenated fats..

Certainly keep eating the chicken livers! Tons on nutrients in those. Keep eating eggs too!

I love beets just boiled, really thinly sliced, and topped with finely diced parsley and garlic – dress with olive oil and sherry vinegar. Doing a post on that next week actually.

Shout if you need anything.

12. Carolyn
    4/1/2009

Brooke, sorry to hear about your mom. This is not news any of us want to hear. I agree with White on Rice’s Todd that Vitamin C has been shown to be beneficial. Diet and attitude absolutely affect how a disease runs. Meditation has also been shown to be helpful.
    As far as your cholesterol is concerned, most research shows that eating cholesterol does not directly affect your cholesterol. Eating healthy and getting some activity keep the levels down. Eggs might actually be beneficial, not harmful, to the cholesterol level.
    Sorry, long reply. Send me email for more info. And you know I love beets!

13. Jim
    4/5/2009

Brooke, I’m sorry to hear the news about your mom. I wish both of you all my best. I think I’m going to plant some beets today.

14. Anonymous
    4/14/2009

Brookie, I’m so sorry to hear about your mom… I went through that a few years ago but my mom unfortunately didn’t have the attitude your mom has. Please be thankful for her positive attitude about food, which is really good. I have heard about that theory too, eating raw and fresh food. I personally think is great. Please say hi to her for me and you, recieve all my love. Gaby. (hola a Hansito)

15. 11/23/2010

A beautiful post; I admire your mother. I also added your recipe to my blog for Thanksgiving side dishes.