1. 9/15/2012

I’ve been a broken record on this topic lately, and I’ll say it again: we need a nouveau, updated (whatever you want to call it) Jewish deli!! It’s a shame that with our city’s talent and interest — this I KNOW for sure — L.A. doesn’t have its version of Mile End, Kenny & Zuke’s, Wise Sons, etc. Deli historian David Sax has vouched for L.A.’s strength as a strong deli city, yet all are in the old style. (Sycamore Kitchen’s salted caramel babka roll is a step in the right direction!) Not that we don’t love Langer’s, Brent’s, Greenblatt’s and the rest, but they’re of the old guard, and my generation doesn’t frequent delis like our families once did. This attitude could change with a fresh spin that takes into account how broader food culture and tastes have evolved. This void is CERTAINLY not for lack of qualified chefs and restaurateurs here in L.A…

• 9/15/2012

Jessica,
      You know what? I couldn’t agree more. I think you’re right, it’s time to take LA got a re-visioning of the old deli. How about a Russ and Daughter’s in LA? THAT would be amazing.

2. Marisa
    9/15/2012

Can you please please please get a Russ and Daughter’s going in our ‘hood? If anyone can do it, Brooke….

• 9/15/2012

:) Thanks for the vote of confidence, Marissa! I’ll see what I can do!

3. 9/15/2012

This is great Brooke! I had to chuckle that you put in my thoughts on the OC. Sounds like I need to try some of those Vietnamese restaurants you mention. The only problem is I refuse to drive any distance on the weekend ~ the weekdays are crazy with school. I’ll forget about the OC and stick with my CO favorites for now,

4. 9/16/2012

All such great ideas. I feel blessed to live where we live and have the resources we have. Still searching for that Pain au Chocolate I ate in Paris last year – my quest continues and I have no complaints as my journey continues!

5. 9/17/2012

I’ve got one location in my town (New Brighton, MN) that is a sports bar. It’s been a sports bar for the last [at least] 5 years. In those 5 years it’s been sold 4 times. Each new own remodeled, introduced a new menu and marketed. All have failed. I would love for a sports bar to succeed there. My critique of those that have come and failed is they have bad, overpriced food.

6. 9/18/2012

I want Mission Cheese (in San Fran) to come to Philadelphia: http://missioncheese.net/. I want a place where I can sit at the bar and eat a bowl of steaming hot new potatoes with gooey Raclette and wee gherkins. Simple. Perfect.

7. 9/25/2012

I live in the metro D.C. area. And though there’s already a huge range of variety in terms of food, I’d wish more exotic restaurants featuring new cuisines. Maybe more from Singapore, Malaysia, or Russian.

8. [...] about the need for restaurants to consider teaching  better bussing. I wrote about restaurant concepts that work, why guests should keep an open mind when visiting restaurants, how I enjoy my work in restaurants, [...]