1. 6/18/2013

This is a great write up, but I think Dave Asprey deserves more than a cursory *credit for his creation of this recipe (sans sugar).

• Jordan
      4/2/2014

maybe not , seeing as Tibetans have traditionally been drinking ‘buttered coffee’ before Mr. Asprey had been conceived. he tweaked the recipe and gave it a sort of modern accessibility, but i can’t agree that it is his creation. :)

• 4/2/2014

Jordan,
        Agreed! Thanks for the comment!
        Best,
        Brooke

• Dan
        4/9/2014

The Tibetans actually drink yak butter tea, not coffee.

2. Linda Munoz
    6/21/2013

Makes sense…churned cream turns into butter. This I HAVE to try.

3. Dan
    6/24/2013

Thanks for the updated attribution, Brooke!

Oh! Try adding one or two square of dark chocolate to the coffee before frothing. It’s the best mocha in the world. I like the 90% dark Lindt.

Best!

4. 7/17/2013

I tried this for awhile and liked it, but got tired of cleaning up the blender. I think the stick frother is the answer–may have to get one of those.

• Dan
      4/9/2014

I put all my ingredients in a thermos and just shake it. No blender to clean.

5. johanna
    7/23/2013

i’ve always used thick coconut cream-the real stuff; it really gives a creamy lovely taste and mouth feel. adding chocolate 99% squares and /or vanilla bean is nice too

6. I don’t drink coffee but I’ve just spent the last 4 minutes reading this aloud to my husband in hopes he tries it – sounds so intriguing!

7. 9/9/2013

This sounds fabulous! I also love KerryGold. (Good comments, too)

8. Elizabeth
    10/13/2013

I remember seeing Antonio Carlucci putting butter in his coffee in a programme he made on food in Northern Italy. Tried it and it is, unfortunately, very delicious.

9. 10/13/2013

So glad that I found this! I had recently read something about butter in coffee, but it didn’t have all the details that you have supplied. My family here in Texas refer to Kerrigold Butter as “licking butter” because it’s so good you could just lick it. We reserve it for use when we just want to taste the butter, with bread, noodles, rice…. and now, with our coffee.

10. DrBob
    12/4/2013

On holiday in South America last year I encountered cheese served with cocoa with the expectation that you would put the cheese into the cocoa and stir before drinking. I met this in Ecuador but have since read that it may have travelled from Columbia. Butter coffee sounds like it would be more to my taste.

11. Marietta Roby
    12/4/2013

The only other time I’ve heard of buttered coffee is when we were elk hunting. We met a party of guys – two middle aged and two very aged. The old guys put butter in their coffee, and everything else. Butter and brown sugar in their coffee, plus a little whiskey in the evenings. These guys were around 90 and still hunting from horseback. Who knows, maybe that had something to do with it.

12. Laura H
    12/18/2013

Just bought an espresso machine with a milk frother/steamer. Do you think this would work if I made my espresso as normal, then added some butter and coconut oil to milk in frothing pitcher, then steamed the mixture?

13. TheoDusko
    7/16/2014

I’m curious how this would work with actual yak butter? I live in China and have easy access to yak butter where I live. If I substitute the grass-fed cow butter for some super rich grass-fed yak butter, would I still have to add the MCT/coconut oil? Or would the triglycerides from the yak butter offset the need?

14. Lucelightful
    9/4/2014

Butter coffee is present in so many cultures. Ethiopia has a coffee ceremony which includes butter
    In Singapore
    In Sweden
    “the older generation sometimes add a knob of butter – adding about 1/5th of a stick of butter for a 12-14oz cup of coffee!”
    A friend in the UK told me that, when she visits her granny on their family farm in Croatia, the first thing that she does is have coffee with a spoon of very fresh butter in… and they have always done it she says.